Tardiness is unacceptable because:
- Tardiness reduces the instructional time of the student who is late.
- A student's tardiness interrupts the class he or she is coming into, resulting in a loss of instructional quality and time for all students.
- Students late to class frequently are noisy in the halls and disturb surrounding classrooms.
- Students late to class cause additional paperwork for teachers and the attendance office, which is an unnecessary financial drain on already strained funding.
- Punctuality is a practice valued by business and society; students should be trained in this practice while in school.
With the above as a rationale, the following policy will be implemented:
Tardiness is defined as:
- Any student arriving late to class.
- Any student who is tardy by more than 30 minutes will be regarded as absent for the period and must present a re-admit from the Attendance Office the following day.
Corrective Action for Unexcused Tardies will be as follows:
- First three tardies: The teacher warns the student of the consequences of arriving late to class.
- Fourth tardy and Every Tardy Thereafter: Student is assigned 1 hour of detention by the teacher; the teacher will call the parent, guardian or adult contact to provide notification of detention and to discuss the problem of tardiness. Teacher may issue an "unsatisfactory" citizenship grade.
Students may be suspended or expelled for acts enumerated above which occur at any time, if the act isrelated to school activity or school attendance, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
While on school grounds.
While going to or coming from school.
During the lunch period, whether on or off the campus.
During, or while going to or coming from, a school spnsored activity.