Dear North High School Community,
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! We are excited for the challenges every new year brings and this year is no exception. We have a clear direction for the work me must accomplish during this school year. Our work this year will revolve around three major themes:
1. High Expectations
2. Expanding our Common Core
3. Surviving and Thriving During Construction
We will continue to set high expectations by establishing the following schoolwide goals:
- Meet all Academic Performance Index (API) Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) percentage growth targets for the 2013-2014 school year
- Increase the percentage of students meeting University of California/California State University A-G requirements and grow our college and career going culture
- Continue and enhance all intervention programs for at-risk students
- Continue and complete the Western Association for Schools and Colleges (WASC) self-study process during the 2013-2014 school year with a formal visit scheduled from Sunday, March 9th- Wednesday, March 12th.
We will continue the process toward aligning our curriculum and assessments to the new California Common Core Standards with district and site-based implementation strategies. We are also excited about all of the physical changes to our campus from the $30 million dollar modernization project made possible with the passing of Measures Y and Z. If you have not seen the new front of North High, you need to come see it immediately as it is beautiful.
Finally, the last piece of news I will share is bittersweet. I have accepted a district level administrative position in another school district. I will be starting a new chapter of my life that will help me be an influence on a greater number of students’ lives within the Los Angeles area.
I want to take this final opportunity to say how appreciative I am to have had the opportunity of leading such a fine school in North. In my time at NHS, I have been fortunate to have been part of many great achievements. We reached the highest API (815) in North history, we continue to maintain an over 99% graduation rate, we have expanded our college and career going culture with various events and services including paying for each sophomore to take the PSAT examination and our GPS @ NHS College and Career Night, set even higher expectations of our students as demonstrated by our increased numbers of students participating in Advanced Placement (AP) and Honors courses, and have greatly expanded our intervention programs to support our at-risk students. I am confident that the faculty and staff at North will continue to stretch our students’ thinking, push them to reach new heights and will help them grow as individuals. We have shared many wonderful and exciting times that I will cherish for all of my days. It has been a pleasure to serve as principal of North. I wish each of you the best.
In Saxon Pride,
Dr. Matt Horvath